Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More tools (for Group Presentations)

Before I provide some limited information on these tools, I need to tell you that I have no direct experience with either of these tools. In searching the Internet for PowerPoint alternatives, I came across them. Their names are SlideRocket and Prezi.

SlideRocket has a 30 day trial version for free. You can consider this tool to be a part of Cloud Computing, your file is stored on the Internet. The animation effects are comparable to that of Adobe Flash. W/o naming names, I was told that this tool was not stable. When I have time, I need to get some hands on time with SlideRocket for myself. The one presentation I viewed was superior to PowerPoint.

Prezi has a public version that is free with 100MB of storage. Downside is that it treats your file as public property open for viewing by others! There is an offline viewer available for downloading. It is not comparable to PowerPoint. Their description is that of a large poster board where you can zoom in, zoom out, and navigate about the poster board. One of the earlier presentations was done via Prezi or a similar tool (which could have been Adobe Flash). So Prezi like SlideRocket is more Cloud Computing with your file stored on the Internet. The Prezi web site has a page detailing some of the ongoing bugs with Prezi. Having shared that Prezi does have some bugs, I still want to take Prezi out for a "test drive". I suggest you find your way to Prezi to see some of their demos.

There is one serious downside to Prezi in that how does one print off handouts from a Prezi poster board? Every student I know expects to be able to print handouts from each presentation.

Here are some of the links for these tools:

www.sliderocket.com/product/
www.sliderocket.com/product/pricing.html

http://prezi.com/
http://prezi.com/profile/signup/

Regards,
Bill Stephens
Mercury Group

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bill,

    I just wanted to reach out and let you know that SlideRocket has been a very popular application for educators. So much so that we recently announced preffered pricing for K-12 schools. You can learn more about that here: http://sliderocket.com/solutions/education_all.html.

    We'd love for you to test drive SlideRocket and let us know what you think. We have many large customers using SlideRocket every day, and we generally do not hear concerns about stability. Of course, we appreciate any and all feedback, as that is what helps us be the best we can be! So, please give it a whirl and let us know what you think.

    Thanks much, and take care,
    Tracy

    Tracy Frey
    Senior Director of Community and Product Marketing
    www.sliderocket.com
    www.twitter.com/sliderocket

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried to login and use the SlideRocket tool.It was a very user friendly tool.

    And while googling, I just found some other presentation tools.Apple's Keynote and BrinkPad.

    KeyNote is having a pen tool and SlideRocket is not having this tool which doesnt allow the user to draw curved lines,etc on the presentation.
    http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/

    BrinkPad has a web developed software which allows us to create presentations, slideshows.
    http://brinkpad.com/

    Here is an awesome website which provides us with the list of almost all the top presentation,hosting and sharing tools.
    http://c4lpt.co.uk/Directory/Tools/presentation2.html

    REFERENCE:
    http://support.sliderocket.com/forums/13665/entries/44250

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have been keeping us with this posting about SlideRocket, then you should have seen the comment posted by a SlideRocket company representative. I was invited to follow through with my proposed test drive of SlideRocket.

    Tonight, I did spend some time with SlideRocket and the results were good. As a user, I kept reverting to my Microsoft PowerPoint ways which are not conducive when using other software. SlideRocket is different in its navigation which is not that surprising. I did not try importing images or audio from other sources. I did limit myself to images available in SlildeRocket.

    I would rank it up against PowerPoint. SlideRocket does have effects not found in PowerPoint. I would attribute the effects to Adobe Flash which is required.

    My simple slideshow was only four slides. It was run on IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome. the only "glitch" I experienced with with Chrome. I was on the last slide which had multiple effects and was running full screen. Perhaps it was me but I could not exit from the slideshow on Chrome.

    Other points worth sharing: the free trial verions has a limited amount of storage (345 MB?), PowerPoint files can be imported but slides are treated as images, and my impression is that the trial version is not the full experience one would have as with a paid subscription. Keep in mind that SlideRocket is Cloud Computing where you run your slideshow via the Internet.

    Good day,
    Bill Stephens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can it be integrated like Google Docs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question. I think I am going to call on my Mercury Group teammates of Gautam and Juhi for an answer!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. To answer Dr.Zheng's question, Yes Slide Rocket can be integrated.

    There is an plug-in API which is being developed along with a wide authoring environment which will enable enable Developers to integrate this with other applications.

    In the near future Slide rocket is going to be integrated with Salesforce.com. This will enable Presentations to have real time data display through Salesforce.

    ReplyDelete

Service Oriented Architecture (Source: www.youtube.com)

Latest News from SOA World Magazine